As graduation season comes to a close (and an open, for some!), we set out to gather all of the SUNY commencement activities in one place. As thousands of SUNY students from nearly every global continent walked across a stage at their campus in New York State, they joined the international network of nearly 3 million SUNY alumni. Our students are products of some of the most renowned experts in their fields and contribute forward thinking in dozens of concentrated majors.
Click to see highlights of the the top moments from this spring’s series of commencement ceremonies! Did we miss any? Let us know in the comments!
• Growth. The Class of 2013 will continue a long tradition of SUNY alumni living, working, and playing in New York State and branching out to every continent of the world in order to fundamentally change the world. Here’s a rich sample of our 3 million alumni.
• Weather. It’s a moment to remember forever–and for some, they’ll be drenched in rain. And while this shouldn’t (and won’t) “drown” out all of the memories and merits of your college experience, it’s a profound mark on the day nonetheless. These Stony Brook University students found a way to stay dry–or so they said!
• The awesome commencement speakers. The speakers were are diverse as our 64 campuses, ranging from ESPN reporter Sal Paolantonio to medical researcher and actress Anita Moore to U.S. Representative Brian Higgins to U.S. Army Colonel Thomas Palmatier. They expressed praise for their education, gave heartfelt advice, and inspired thousands of tomorrow’s most influential leaders.
• The raw emotion. College graduation is a milestone in every student’s life. It’s what some have been working toward for their entire life; it closes the book on a period in a person’s life that gives way to exciting and sometimes scary new beginnings. SUNY graduates cried, sang, yelled, smiled, and tweeted their feelings this spring–every one unique.
• Country Star Cassadee Pope surprises UAlbany commencement. Ms. Pope, last season’s “The Voice” winner, was brought by speakers Avery and Monte Lipman, whose Republic Records works with NBC for talent on the show. See some of her performance in the video from UAlbany below.
• Former President Bill Clinton visiting Westchester Community College. Yes, this is not a true commencement event, but a former U.S. president visiting a SUNY campus is awesome. President Clinton received an honorary Doctorate of Humane Letters from the State University of New York while visiting WCC in order to help promote the College’s fundraising effort.
University at Buffalo
SUNY New Paltz
Jamestown Community College
Finger Lakes Community College
College of Nanoscale Science & Engineering
University at Albany
Stony Brook University
Monroe Community College
Maxwell was a Coordinator of Digital Engagement for The State University of New York.