Every year, over 800,000 guests walk through the entrance gates of the Great New York State Fair in Syracuse. They come to gaze in amazement at the massive butter sculpture, listen to talented musical artists from across the globe, feel the excitement of rides, and smell the fresh scent of livestock that will be judged, raced, or otherwise raised to help support New York’s economy.
SUNY is committed to helping educate New Yorkers so that we may all grow and prosper together. To help further this mission, SUNY is again “attending” The Great New York State Fair! SUNY campuses will be showcased throughout the week to help teams of SUNY representatives educate and assist New Yorkers with their education goals. Some specific campuses, like SUNY College of Environmental Science and Forestry and SUNY Cobleskill, host larger exhibits every year in order to best tell their story to fair attendees.
So, with so much going on and even more to discover, we have put together Eight Great Reasons to Attend The Great New York State Fair!
1. New York State. Bringing New York back to its roots, the theme of this year’s event is Sharing the Bounty and Pride of New York. Albeit ambiguous, the title relays a sense of comprehensiveness — that New York is built on agricultural and economic strength and growth and it continues to innovate in order to better the lives of all New Yorkers.
2. SUNY will be there. For the third year, SUNY has an illuminating presence at the State Fair. It is an excellent opportunity to teach fairgoers (who come from every corner of the state and beyond) about the impact that SUNY has on communities and people and how education can help improve lives.
3. See what’s happening at SUNY campuses! Select campuses have their own exhibits at the Fair:
5. It’s really easy to get to. Syracuse is located in a very central location! Whether you take the New York State Thruway, Canalway, or decide to take a train, it’s a straight-shot. As a bonus, Amtrak is offering a special New York State Fair Kids Ride Free promotion, which drops off at the custom New York State Fair (NSF) stop.
6. You can witness cows being birthed! Cornell University veterinary students and veterinarians will attend to the calving and explain the birthing process to the public, and College of Agriculture and Life Sciences undergraduate students will assist in postpartum care at the exhibit, which was organized by the New York Animal Agriculture Coalition.
7. There will be a ton of music. This year’s artists include Toby Keith, Carly Rae Jepson, Korn, Fall Out Boy, Florida Georgia Line, Plain White T’s, Owl City, and O.A.R.
8. Because it can be free. And parking? We’ve got you covered. So that you have no excuse not to visit SUNY at the Fair, we’re raffling off dozens of tickets to prospective and current students as well as alumni and community members! It’s easy to enter!
BONUS: You can meet the celebrities behind SUNY Mascot Madness!
Maxwell was a Coordinator of Digital Engagement for The State University of New York.