SUNY logo Apply to SUNY
Blog of The State University of New York

Meet Phillip Leidner, the New Intern!

Phillip Leidner at the XL Center in ConnecticutHello everyone, my name is Phillip Leidner and I am a new intern for the Office of New Media at SUNY System Administration during the fall semester. I am a public policy major and a business administration minor at the University at Albany. I live off-campus but definitely do miss being in a clean campus dorm!  This is my last semester attending the University at Albany; I will graduate in December.

I started my academic career at Nassau Community College in Long Island. After a year there, I transferred to the University at Albany and have been there ever since. My decision to start at Nassau was in hopes of transferring to a school to play basketball collegiality. After (quickly) realizing that was not in my cards, I chose the University at Albany for their prestige and well-known business program. After struggling to adapt to the new school environment and larger classes, I decided to make a change. Two years ago, I changed my major to public policy and am very glad I did so. I have learned far more than I could have hoped for, and throughout this internship I expect my knowledge to continue to grow.

When I am not busy doing schoolwork, I enjoy playing sports. Growing up, I played soccer, basketball, and baseball, all to which I still enjoy playing today. Usually on the weekends, I will head down to the Albany basketball courts and take part in a couple of pick-up games. My favorite sport teams are the New York Giants, the New York Mets (unfortunately), and the University of Connecticut Huskies Men’s College basketball team. On lazier days, I do enjoy watching TV and catching up on some of my favorite shows. A couple of my favorite TV shows are Seinfeld, The Office, and Game of Thrones.

I have quite a large family. Along with my 26 year old brother, and 28 year old sister, I have 25 cousins who I am very close with. Having a large family I think made me who I am. My personality is very laid back and I would like to think of myself as easy to talk to. I love having a sense of humor, and I think having that attribute makes things easier for me on a daily basis.

Coming into this internship, I have many expectations of myself. First, I will strive to contribute to the incoming flow of new ideas. I hope to gain plenty of experience within this field and if possible take it to the next level. Obviously this is a new experience for me and I hope to adapt very smoothly and quickly. So far everyone has been extremely nice and I can’t wait to get into the flow of things.

Usually people know what they want to become once they are out of college, but I do not. Over the course of my three years at the University at Albany, I have gained interest in many areas. Not only do I enjoy public policy, but I am very interested in business and will try to find a job that can mix and match them both. For now, I am taking things for what they are and am hoping to find special interest in a field that I can enjoy coming to work every day!

Written by Phillip Leidner

Tags: , ,

Join the Conversation:

There are 0 comments