It is that time of the year again for college students across America: homecoming! Homecomings are a time when school faculty, students, and alumni get together to show their school pride. Being a student, I can say that attendance to your college’s homecoming can be rewarding and memorable if you take advantage of the opportunity.
Why should we attend homecoming every year? Simply put, it’s an excellent opportunity to interact with fellow students, faculty members, and (most importantly), alumni! Festivities set a perfect atmosphere for light, no-pressure networking and are an overall great time. So that I can convince all of my friends and fellow students to attend, here are eight reasons to be a part of your homecoming:
1. Meet new people. Nobody knows everybody in their school (that would be impossible, right?). Many students may have groups of friends and know people within their current majors. Attending homecoming will broaden a student’s horizon while introducing them to students they have never met before!
2. Network. Did you know that an estimated 60-80% of jobs are found through networking? Along with meeting new people (above) that are generally interesting, you can capitalize on the relationship! Talking with fellow students, faculty, and alumni is a perfect way for students to get their name out there. Connecting leads to possible internships, and maybe even job opportunities!
3. Show your school pride. School pride is what homecoming is all about! Everybody wearing their school colors and parading around campus gives off a good vibe. It makes current students and faculty feel they are a part of something special, and gives alumni a reassurance why they chose that school! Showing school pride is simple; wear your school attire and enjoy the day!
4. Cheer on school athletics. Homecoming weekend provides plenty of entertainment. Both men’s and women’s sports teams and club activities contribute to it, and give another reason for attendees to go and support their college!
5. Support a cause. Homecomings are not just about the campus itself, but about the surrounding communities as well. Many events include special recognition of a cause or concern of the local community. Whether it be a walk for cancer, or supporting a charity and its foundation, homecoming will provide attendees with a special feeling of giving!
6. Create new memories. This goes for faculty, students, and alumni! Creating new memories so that your college experience is as rich as can be is super important. It is as simple as taking a couple pictures with your best friends or using your school’s hashtag for the event. Memories such as these will not be forgotten and will provide everyone with another reason to come back next year (and repeat!).
7. Reconnect with old friends. For alumni, Homecoming can mean seeing people you haven’t seen in years. This gives a chance for alumni to come back and talk to their old friends and teachers, and reconnect for the future. Homecoming is also a good way for old friends to talk about memories they have had at their school, and see how the school has changed since they have been gone. It gives alumni a chance to go back where it all started, and appreciate how far they have come.
8. Have fun! Of course homecoming is about support and pride, but it is enjoyable as well! Homecomings provide a weekend full of fun and games.There is always plenty of food, including alumni lunches, and student cookouts. Concerts, sports, and other events bring people together and showcase just a few of the many reasons to attend your school’s Homecoming!