Every year, thousands of prospective SUNY students fill out their application online. It’s simple, secure, and green! The online app is called applySUNY.
applySUNY is an application portal that allows you to complete an application for admission, any required supplemental applications and your academic record all in one place. Even better, these documents are accepted by virtually all SUNY campuses. Submit your documents once, and they will be transmitted to as many SUNY campuses as you designate.
We put together a ten-step checklist to follow when applying to SUNY with applySUNY:
1. Decide which campuses & programs you’ll apply to. You can apply to multiple campuses using a single application. You should determine your campus and curriculum selections before starting your application.
2. Preview the application. If you wish to view the questions and prepare your answers before beginning your online application, print our Application Worksheets.
3. Create your account. The first time you use applySUNY, you will be required to create an account. You must supply a valid email address and password so that you can return to work on your application over several sessions.
4. Fill out the application. You will be presented with several pages of questions to complete. Make sure you complete the questions on each page.
5. Pay the application fee. When you have completed your application and are ready to submit it, you can pay your application fees via a credit card, debit card, or you can mail a check or money order to the Application Services Center. There is a non-refundable application fee of $50 per campus selection.
6. Submit your application. You will receive confirmation of submission by mail and by email. You can check back at applySUNY in 48 hours to view your application status online.
7. Send your additional forms. Freshman applicants should print and give the School Counselor Form to your high school counselor to complete. International applicants should print forms FSA-2, FSA-3, and FSA-4 and mail directly to the colleges to which you apply.
8. Submit supplemental forms for some campuses. In addition to your online application, some campuses may require or recommend a supplemental application, which may include an essay question. You will be directed to return to applySUNY to complete those supplemental applications.
9. Show your academic record. If you are a high school student, you can use the SUNY Online Academic Record (SOAR) to submit your high school courses and grades, as well as your SAT and ACT test scores online. If you are a transfer student or adult learner, you should request an official transcript be sent directly to the campuses to which you are applying.
10. Wait for Your Decision(s). You will receive an admission decision from each college to which you apply. This may keep you occupied while you wait:
This list was adapted from Applying to SUNY on SUNY.edu
Maxwell was a Coordinator of Digital Engagement for The State University of New York.