SUNY logo Apply to SUNY

Blog of The State University of New York
30 Days of Giving
1

30 Days of Giving 2015: Brockport hosts a Saturday of Service

2 female Brockport students pack boxes of donations during Saturday of Service

This year The College at Brockport hosted its 6th Annual Saturday of Service (SOS). SOS is an annual opportunity for all incoming first-year/transfer students at Brockport to work alongside faculty and staff members to serve others locally. Students engage in various forms of service in an effort to improve lives, strengthen communities, and foster civic engagement. This year the College partnered with 46 community organizations across 50 different sites in the Brockport/Rochester area. This resulted in 964 incoming students logging in 1,928 hours of service in one day. This equated to an economic impact of $42,685.92.

For a detailed list of SOS 2015 projects please visit: https://my.brockport.edu/organization/community/calendar/details/619692

Angela Dixon, an adult non-traditional student herself, didn’t know what to expect when she signed up for the event. “I was nervous at first because I didn’t know how I would be received by the younger students. To my surprise, it was more than I could have imagined, we engaged in conversation on the way to our service site (Rainbow Ridge). Once we got there and started our project, no one wanted to leave. We all wished we had more time to work with each other and the organization. I felt like a surrogate mother to some of my team members, and it was an awesome experience!”

2015 30 Days of Giving

Tags:

Similar:

Join the Conversation:

There is 1 comment