30 Days of Giving 2015: HVCC Builds Walls for Habitat for Humanity
Each spring semester since 2005, students in the Construction Technology-Building Construction program at Hudson Valley Community College have built walls for the Schenectady (NY) Chapter of Habitat for Humanity. The walls constructed in 2015 were for a Habitat house to be built at 1568 Carrie St.
“Approximately 18 students worked for nearly two months on the project, putting in their required lab hours, in addition to an extra three to four hours per week as each student could,” said Tim Dennis, professor of Civil, Construction, Mechanical and Industrial Technologies.
The students constructed the 12- x 8-foot interior and exterior walls working from drawings provided by Habitat for Humanity and erected the 52- x 26-foot structure in the construction lab. This process helped the students see how the house would come together and assured the walls fit correctly.
Curtis Lumber donated lumber and hardware for the project after the students determined what was needed. The work was overseen by Dennis, along with a housing manager from Schenectady Habitat. Both do a thorough inspection for quality and safety standards before the walls are shipped to the building site.
“This is a serious effort, one that will result in a real house that a family will call home. Our students know they aren’t just practicing. Walls must be plumb, sized accurately and have reinforced window and door openings. They must meet construction codes,” said Dennis.
Hudson Valley undertook its first Habitat project 10 years ago at the suggestion of an adjunct professor, who was active with the housing organization. The college also sponsors a Habitat for Humanity student club, whose members – some in construction programs and some in other programs – often volunteer at the organization’s construction sites.
2015 30 Days of Giving
- Day 1: Binghamton University hosts Welcome Week Service Project
- Day 2: Brockport hosts a Saturday of Service
- Day 3: Niagara CCC Penny Wars for St Jude’s Children Research Hospital
- Day 4: Farmingdale Little Flower Event
- Day 5: Onondaga CC works to help K.I.D.S.
- Day 6: Tompkins Cortland Participates in Cancer Resource Charity Walk
- Day 7: SUNY ESF Contributes to the Food Recovery Network
- Day 8: Literacy Matters at FMCC
- Day 9: HVCC Builds Walls for Habitat for Humanity
- Day 10: Oswego’s Positive Community Impact Through SEFA
- Day 11: Dutchess CC Organizes Clothing and Food Drives
- Day 12: Morrisville Holds Back To School Drive
- Day 13: Charity on Ice at SUNY Cortland
- Day 14: Delhi’s Out of the Darkness Event for Suicide Prevention
- Day 15: Dare to Care Day at Buffalo State
- Day 16: FIT Students Engineer Garments for Veterans with Disabilities
- Day 17: SUNY Ulster Sends Text Books to Kenya
- Day 18: Niagara CCC Tackles Breast Cancer Awareness
- Day 19: Herkimer CCC Supports Gram Lorraine Children’s Christmas Program
- Day 20: Jefferson CC Gives Gift of Comfort
- Day 21: SUNY Canton Giving Tree
- Day 22: Alfred State participates in ELK Charity Challenge
- Day 23: Old Westbury goes Shopping for Service
- Day 24: SUNY Oneonta Giving Tree
- Day 25: Purchase College provides free ESOL classes
- Day 26: Tree Trot at Fredonia supports Big Brothers Big Sisters
- Day 27: Geneseo Continues to Provide Hurricane Relief
- Day 28: Rockland CC luncheon raises funds for Alzheimer’s Foundation
- Day 29: Stony Brook Bike-A-Thon For Disabilities
- Day 30: Suffolk County CC volunteers at Special Olympics event