30 Days of Giving 2015: Stony Brook Bike-A-Thon For Disabilities
A new chapter of the Pi Kappa Phi fraternity was chartered this fall at Stony Brook University. The group is focused on being a positive light through campus involvement and community service.
Pi Kappa Phi held a bike-a-thon, their first outdoor event, in October. The goal was to raise awareness for children with disabilities.
The group set the stage by placing stationary bikes under a tent on the Academic Mall. Students took turns pedaling away, with members riding on the bikes at all times during the 8am-6pm day.
Many students, faculty and staff stopped by the event to inquire about the activity and offer support.
Pi Kappa Phi had a fundraising goal of $500 and was able to surpass that to $640 through the interest of the campus community. Funds are donated to the Ability Experience, a nonprofit philanthropic organization created and managed by the national fraternity making a difference for people with disabilities.
The bike-a-thon is modeled after a national fundraising event called the Journey of Hope, where participants pedal from the west coast to Washington, D.C. to create awareness and improve the lives of people with disabilities.
2015 30 Days of Giving
- Day 1: Binghamton University hosts Welcome Week Service Project
- Day 2: Brockport hosts a Saturday of Service
- Day 3: Niagara CCC Penny Wars for St Jude’s Children Research Hospital
- Day 4: Farmingdale Little Flower Event
- Day 5: Onondaga CC works to help K.I.D.S.
- Day 6: Tompkins Cortland Participates in Cancer Resource Charity Walk
- Day 7: SUNY ESF Contributes to the Food Recovery Network
- Day 8: Literacy Matters at FMCC
- Day 9: HVCC Builds Walls for Habitat for Humanity
- Day 10: Oswego’s Positive Community Impact Through SEFA
- Day 11: Dutchess CC Organizes Clothing and Food Drives
- Day 12: Morrisville Holds Back To School Drive
- Day 13: Charity on Ice at SUNY Cortland
- Day 14: Delhi’s Out of the Darkness Event for Suicide Prevention
- Day 15: Dare to Care Day at Buffalo State
- Day 16: FIT Students Engineer Garments for Veterans with Disabilities
- Day 17: SUNY Ulster Sends Text Books to Kenya
- Day 18: Niagara CCC Tackles Breast Cancer Awareness
- Day 19: Herkimer CCC Supports Gram Lorraine Children’s Christmas Program
- Day 20: Jefferson CC Gives Gift of Comfort
- Day 21: SUNY Canton Giving Tree
- Day 22: Alfred State participates in ELK Charity Challenge
- Day 23: Old Westbury goes Shopping for Service
- Day 24: SUNY Oneonta Giving Tree
- Day 25: Purchase College provides free ESOL classes
- Day 26: Tree Trot at Fredonia supports Big Brothers Big Sisters
- Day 27: Geneseo Continues to Provide Hurricane Relief
- Day 28: Rockland CC luncheon raises funds for Alzheimer’s Foundation
- Day 29: Stony Brook Bike-A-Thon For Disabilities
- Day 30: Suffolk County CC volunteers at Special Olympics event