30 Days of Giving 2016, Day 13 – Maritime Cadets Help Intrepid Musuem
The Intrepid is a decommissioned aircraft carrier that holds space shuttle artifacts, a fleet of authentically restored aircrafts, an out of service submarine among other exhibits relating to the maritime industry.
Forty students took public transportation into New York City to join the staff at the world-famous museum.
“There was a great turnout, and everyone was ready to do anything that would be asked of them. It’s the only museum of its kind and I think everyone knows how important it is,” said Matthew Crowley who helped organize the event. “We came in nice clothes but we brought our boiler suits because we were prepared to do whatever was needed.”
Groups of students worked either with the public or behind the scenes.
“My group was assigned with washing down and waxing the jets and aircrafts on deck. There was also another group that helped perform visitor surveys and another that helped the education department prepare for elementary school trips,” mentioned Crowley.
The students completed a month’s worth of work in less than a day.
Crowley said the museum staff seemed to appreciate how enthusiastic every cadet was and said that they would love to have more volunteers from Maritime College in the future.
Crowley is the section 6 chief indoctrination officer for SUNY Maritime’s regiment of cadets, a disciplined lifestyle program designed to help students earn a license to work on marine vessels. Chief indoctrination officers are responsible for maintaining discipline in their sections, helping the new cadets and organizing a section-wide service project.
At the end of the day, the students got to visit the full museum, the USS Growler and the space shuttle Enterprise.
“Everyone in the section was adamant about coming back again,” Crowley said. “You see our college’s motto ‘Loyalty and Valor’ all the time, and on this day that definitely rang true.”
30 Days of Giving 2016
- Day 1: Cortland Perspective on Poverty
- Day 2: Chef & Child at Erie Community College
- Day 3: Elder Care at SUNY Delhi
- Day 4: Be the Match at Morrisville
- Day 5: Food for Parking at Fulton-Montgomery Community College
- Day 6: Supporting Refugee Students at Buffalo State
- Day 7: Honoring a Historic Legacy With a Day Of Service at Old Westbury
- Day 8: Art in Vacant Spaces from Purchase College
- Day 9: Global Day of Service at Binghamton
- Day 10: Artistic Collaboration at Dutchess CC
- Day 11: Athletes Pitch In To Community Service at Cayuga CC
- Day 12: Feeding the Community at System Admin
- Day 13: Maritime Cadets Help Intrepid Museum
- Day 14: Filling an Empty Stocking at Empire State College
- Day 15: A Children's Christmas at Herkimer County Community College
- Day 16: Student Nurse Mentoring at Farmingdale State
- Day 17: Healthy Athletes Program at HVCC
- Day 18: Opening a Food Pantry at Oswego
- Day 19: Donating Books for Children at UAlbany
- Day 20: Arts & Crafts with Girls Inc. at Schenectady County Community College
- Day 21: Teddy Bear Toss at Geneseo
- Day 22: SUNY Canton Lending a Hand at St Mary's Church
- Day 23: Helping a Student in Need at Adirondack Community College
- Day 24: Alfred State Celebrates Service
- Day 25: Baby & Toddler Clothing Pantry at Monroe Community College
- Day 26: Adopt-A-Family at SUNY Orange County Community College
- Day 27: Free Dental Care for Veterans at UBuffalo
- Day 28: Fashion Design for Disabled Women at FIT
- Day 29: Care Packages for the Troops at Fredonia
- Day 30: A Spirit of Giving Throughout Ulster County Community College
- BONUS: Holiday Food Boxes at Rockland Community College