30 Days of Giving 2016, Day 23 – Helping a Student in Need at Adirondack CC
In April of 2016, the SUNY Adirondack campus came together in support of a former student, Otto Miller.
Miller transferred to another college where he was recruited to play hockey and was anticipating the start of the spring semester. He was living off-campus and while shoveling snow off the roof after a big snowstorm, when he slipped and fell, landing on his back. Otto found himself in the University of Maryland Medical Center, paralyzed from the chest down.
Otto and his family found themselves in need of money to cover the cost of rehabilitation, hotel and transportation expenses, as well as renovations to make their home handicap accessible.
Along with the rest of the community, SUNY Adirondack came together to raise funds to help alleviate some of the financial stress the Miller family was now faced with so that they could focus on Otto’s recovery.
Students, faculty and staff organized a kickball tournament where teams competed with the same goal – to help a friend and former student. Each player paid a fee to participate. SUNY Adirondack President, Dr. Kristine Duffy and SUNY Adirondack mascot, Eddy Rondack joined in the effort as well. The college raised a total of $1,877 for Otto and his family.
30 Days of Giving 2016
- Day 1: Cortland Perspective on Poverty
- Day 2: Chef & Child at Erie Community College
- Day 3: Elder Care at SUNY Delhi
- Day 4: Be the Match at Morrisville
- Day 5: Food for Parking at Fulton-Montgomery Community College
- Day 6: Supporting Refugee Students at Buffalo State
- Day 7: Honoring a Historic Legacy With a Day Of Service at Old Westbury
- Day 8: Art in Vacant Spaces from Purchase College
- Day 9: Global Day of Service at Binghamton
- Day 10: Artistic Collaboration at Dutchess CC
- Day 11: Athletes Pitch In To Community Service at Cayuga CC
- Day 12: Feeding the Community at System Admin
- Day 13: Maritime Cadets Help Intrepid Museum
- Day 14: Filling an Empty Stocking at Empire State College
- Day 15: A Children's Christmas at Herkimer County Community College
- Day 16: Student Nurse Mentoring at Farmingdale State
- Day 17: Healthy Athletes Program at HVCC
- Day 18: Opening a Food Pantry at Oswego
- Day 19: Donating Books for Children at UAlbany
- Day 20: Arts & Crafts with Girls Inc. at Schenectady County Community College
- Day 21: Teddy Bear Toss at Geneseo
- Day 22: SUNY Canton Lending a Hand at St Mary's Church
- Day 23: Helping a Student in Need at Adirondack Community College
- Day 24: Alfred State Celebrates Service
- Day 25: Baby & Toddler Clothing Pantry at Monroe Community College
- Day 26: Adopt-A-Family at SUNY Orange County Community College
- Day 27: Free Dental Care for Veterans at UBuffalo
- Day 28: Fashion Design for Disabled Women at FIT
- Day 29: Care Packages for the Troops at Fredonia
- Day 30: A Spirit of Giving Throughout Ulster County Community College
- BONUS: Holiday Food Boxes at Rockland Community College