30 Days of Giving, Day 24 – Alfred State Celebrates Service
Celebrate Service, Celebrate Allegany kicked off its fifth year in October and proved to be a huge success, as approximately 300 student volunteers from Alfred State, Alfred University, and Houghton College came together to engage in community service projects throughout Allegany County.
Students from all three institutions gathered at their respective colleges and were transported to pre-arranged service locations. At sites throughout much of Allegany County, students worked on projects ranging from outdoor activities such as fall cleaning, to indoor projects such as preparing meals, assembling aid packages, and painting. Overall, 300 volunteers served in 31 projects in 10 different communities.
Alfred State Student Senate President Katherine Holmok, a business administration major from Prattsville, spoke to the important role that the local communities play in students’ lives, and why it is so important to give back.
“Students recognize that the communities in which their colleges reside will be responsible for some of the fondest memories and greatest times of their lives,” she said. “As Student Senate president, I see examples every day of how much our students love Alfred, and how eager they are to give back to the communities that are nurturing them. Celebrate Service, Celebrate Allegany provides a wonderful opportunity for students around the county to demonstrate how much we care on a larger and more visible scale.”
Five years ago, a group from Leadership Allegany organized the inaugural service day. The vision of this event has been to build relationships between students and community members, enhance student exposure to the county beyond the confines of the campus, and deliver meaningful help to public and non-profit organizations.
Over the past four years, more than 1,700 students have participated, investing over 10,200 hours of service to Allegany County communities during just this annual day of service alone. This day is scheduled each year on Make A Difference Day – the largest single national day of community service. And locally, the Allegany County Board of Legislators again issued a proclamation making Oct. 22 Make A Difference Day in the county and recognizing the service of volunteers.
The impact of Celebrate Service, Celebrate Allegany goes far beyond a single day, however. For students, it is a way to illustrate and develop a culture and lifestyle of community service, which they will hopefully carry with them throughout their tenure as students and into their lives post-education. For local communities, it enables important tasks, projects, and events to get a jump-start, make significant progress, or come to fruition.
The three institutions rely on donations to help pay for necessary supplies, T-shirts, and transportation for the day of service. This year, financial and in-kind support was graciously provided by Otis Eastern Service, Leadership Allegany, The Greater Allegany Chamber of Commerce, Allegany County Area Foundation, Auxiliary Campus Enterprises and Services (ACES), Cuba Fillmore Fisher’s Pharmacies, Allegany County United Way, Swain Ski Resort, and Alfred Sports Center.
30 Days of Giving 2016
- Day 1: Cortland Perspective on Poverty
- Day 2: Chef & Child at Erie Community College
- Day 3: Elder Care at SUNY Delhi
- Day 4: Be the Match at Morrisville
- Day 5: Food for Parking at Fulton-Montgomery Community College
- Day 6: Supporting Refugee Students at Buffalo State
- Day 7: Honoring a Historic Legacy With a Day Of Service at Old Westbury
- Day 8: Art in Vacant Spaces from Purchase College
- Day 9: Global Day of Service at Binghamton
- Day 10: Artistic Collaboration at Dutchess CC
- Day 11: Athletes Pitch In To Community Service at Cayuga CC
- Day 12: Feeding the Community at System Admin
- Day 13: Maritime Cadets Help Intrepid Museum
- Day 14: Filling an Empty Stocking at Empire State College
- Day 15: A Children's Christmas at Herkimer County Community College
- Day 16: Student Nurse Mentoring at Farmingdale State
- Day 17: Healthy Athletes Program at HVCC
- Day 18: Opening a Food Pantry at Oswego
- Day 19: Donating Books for Children at UAlbany
- Day 20: Arts & Crafts with Girls Inc. at Schenectady County Community College
- Day 21: Teddy Bear Toss at Geneseo
- Day 22: SUNY Canton Lending a Hand at St Mary's Church
- Day 23: Helping a Student in Need at Adirondack Community College
- Day 24: Alfred State Celebrates Service
- Day 25: Baby & Toddler Clothing Pantry at Monroe Community College
- Day 26: Adopt-A-Family at SUNY Orange County Community College
- Day 27: Free Dental Care for Veterans at UBuffalo
- Day 28: Fashion Design for Disabled Women at FIT
- Day 29: Care Packages for the Troops at Fredonia
- Day 30: A Spirit of Giving Throughout Ulster County Community College
- BONUS: Holiday Food Boxes at Rockland Community College