30 Days of Giving, Day 25 – Baby & Toddler Clothing Pantry at Monroe CC
Clothing a child might seem unrelated to a college education, but when the college student is also a parent, the demands of both worlds can collide.
That’s why Monroe Community College’s Pathways to Success initiative holds a Baby and Toddler Clothing Pantry as part of its efforts to support expectant and parenting students and their families. Helping a parenting student support a family gives that student more freedom to focus on his/her studies, and shows the depth of the College’s commitment to the student’s success.
“Students really seem to appreciate the fact that we are thinking about their needs beyond the classroom,” said Ambika Howell, Pathways program coordinator. “It’s a service they are not accustomed to having at a college campus.”
Each semester since 2014, Howell reaches out to MCC employees seeking donations of gently-used baby and toddler clothing. Many times, students donate clothing as well. The effort brings in a generous amount of clothing.
Then, for two days, parenting students are invited to the clothing pantry to find clothing for their children. This semester, about 80 students took part.
“Every semester, students walk into the pantry in amazement,” says Howell. “I’ve witnessed students’ tears and smiles of pure gratitude.”
The Pathways to Success is an initiative funded by the New York State Department of Health and aims to improve educational, health, and social outcomes for expectant and parenting students and their families. The program serves more than 300 students each year.
30 Days of Giving 2016
- Day 1: Cortland Perspective on Poverty
- Day 2: Chef & Child at Erie Community College
- Day 3: Elder Care at SUNY Delhi
- Day 4: Be the Match at Morrisville
- Day 5: Food for Parking at Fulton-Montgomery Community College
- Day 6: Supporting Refugee Students at Buffalo State
- Day 7: Honoring a Historic Legacy With a Day Of Service at Old Westbury
- Day 8: Art in Vacant Spaces from Purchase College
- Day 9: Global Day of Service at Binghamton
- Day 10: Artistic Collaboration at Dutchess CC
- Day 11: Athletes Pitch In To Community Service at Cayuga CC
- Day 12: Feeding the Community at System Admin
- Day 13: Maritime Cadets Help Intrepid Museum
- Day 14: Filling an Empty Stocking at Empire State College
- Day 15: A Children's Christmas at Herkimer County Community College
- Day 16: Student Nurse Mentoring at Farmingdale State
- Day 17: Healthy Athletes Program at HVCC
- Day 18: Opening a Food Pantry at Oswego
- Day 19: Donating Books for Children at UAlbany
- Day 20: Arts & Crafts with Girls Inc. at Schenectady County Community College
- Day 21: Teddy Bear Toss at Geneseo
- Day 22: SUNY Canton Lending a Hand at St Mary's Church
- Day 23: Helping a Student in Need at Adirondack Community College
- Day 24: Alfred State Celebrates Service
- Day 25: Baby & Toddler Clothing Pantry at Monroe Community College
- Day 26: Adopt-A-Family at SUNY Orange County Community College
- Day 27: Free Dental Care for Veterans at UBuffalo
- Day 28: Fashion Design for Disabled Women at FIT
- Day 29: Care Packages for the Troops at Fredonia
- Day 30: A Spirit of Giving Throughout Ulster County Community College
- BONUS: Holiday Food Boxes at Rockland Community College