30 Days of Giving 2017 – Day 16: SUNY ESF Sends Acorns To Action
Shaken by recent natural disasters in Mexico, the Caribbean, and the United States, SUNY ESF students had one question on their minds: “What can we do to help?”
And so, “Acorns to Action” was born.
“Our primary goal is to provide the needed resources and knowledge to the impacted regions so they may rebuild their communities in a sustainable way,” said Isabella Kaplan, a senior environmental studies major who helps lead the project.
Since the end of September, Acorns for Action has raised $700 in disaster relief through fundraisers, cultural events and collection drives. The students also hosted informational sessions to increase awareness of the need for disaster relief, and discuss the possibility of increased academic involvement and research in communities impacted by disaster.
Acorns to Action has partnered with relief and aid organizations from affected areas and Syracuse-area groups to increase the impact of their efforts. Students helped local churches load trucks with relief supplies and collected donations before the Syracuse University-Wake Forest football game.
“Rather than sending water and food to these countries, we provide the resources they request and the tools/knowledge required to rebuild their country in a sustainable and socially just way,” said Kaplan.
Acorns to Action takes its name from Oakie the Acorn, the beloved mascot of ESF’s athletic teams, the Mighty Oaks.
30 Days of Giving 2017:
- Day 1: Shopping with a Smile
- Day 2: Erie Community College Cook-Off for Kidneys
- Day 3: Stony Brook Medicine Helps in Puerto Rico
- Day 4: A Day of Service at Onondaga CC
- Day 5: New Paltz Students Make a Difference
- Day 6: Buffalo State College Dares to Care
- Day 7: Niagara County CC Students Lend A Hand for Thanksgiving
- Day 8: Old Westbury Helps Haiti
- Day 9: A Day of Service at SUNY Potsdam
- Day 10: Helping Animals at Hudson Valley Community College
- Day 11: FIT Students Help the Homeless
- Day 12: Morrisville Athletes Go Local For Service
- Day 13: SUNY Poly Gives Back Throughout the Region
- Day 14: SUNY Oswego Honors Those Battling Ovarian Cancer
- Day 15: Brockport Students Volunteer at Thanksgiving
- Day 16: SUNY ESF Sends Acorns to Action
- Day 17: Doors Open at the Columbia-Greene Community College Giving Closet
- Day 18: Monroe Community College Helps Walk for Water
- Day 19: SUNY Cortland Supports Crop Hunger Walk
- Day 20: Making Music at Farmingdale State to Help the Hungry
- Day 21: Increasing Food Security at Dutchess Community College
- Day 22: Addressing Food Insecurity On and Around SUNY Geneseo
- Day 23: Westchester Community College Plays the UnHunger Games
- Day 24: Binghamton University Builds University Assisted Community Schools
- Day 25: Mohawk Valley Community College Gives Back To Their Community
- Day 26: SUNY Oneonta Students Help Area Children Learn
- Day 27: Rockland Community College Comes Together to Aid Puerto Rico
- Day 28: Empire State College Donates to Caribbean Relief
- Day 29: Schenectady County Community College Students Provide Support to Foster Families
- Day 30: Raising Guiding Eyes at SUNY Delhi