30 Days of Giving 2018 – Day 13: Herkimer County Community College Cares for the Community
Social responsibility is a duty that the Herkimer County Community College campus community embraces year-round. Student clubs, athletic teams and campus departments organize and participate in a variety of community service initiatives throughout the year.
From awareness activities for important causes, to fundraisers and collections for those fortunate, to volunteering in the community, there are many ways Herkimer College is making a difference in the community.
Since the 1990’s, Herkimer College student clubs and athletic teams have prepared the Tony Baggetta Mini Park, located in the village of Herkimer, for the Festival of Lights, an annual holiday tree lighting ceremony. Additionally, the College has coordinated and promoted the event, in partnership with Mr. Tony Baggetta who lives next door to the park, for many years.
The much anticipated event is attended by many local families.
In addition to the tree lighting, the event includes a presentation of colors by the Herkimer VFW and entertainment by the local high school band and chorus. The highlight of the evening is Santa’s arrival by fire truck followed by a reception.
This year, the Criminal Justice Club conducted a clean-up of the park in early November. Students spent the afternoon collecting trash, raking leaves and tiding up the park in preparation for the lights to be hung.
Herkimer College supports and encourages students’ service to the community for a number of reasons – to make an impact in others’ lives, to strengthen our community, and to develop skills and relationships. But mostly we do it because we care.
30 Days of Giving 2018
- Day 1: Buffalo State’s Students Serve as Civic Leaders
- Day 2: Farmingdale State College Students Give Veterans a Smile
- Day 3: Tompkins Cortland Community College Brings the Farm to the Table
- Day 4: SUNY Maritime Donates Backpacks to Homes For the Brave
- Day 5: Paws and Effect at Binghamton University
- Day 6: New Paltz Students Go From Interns To Emerging Leaders
- Day 7: Niagara County Community College Students Feed Animals in Need
- Day 8: Mohawk Valley Community College Baseball Team Helps Area Veterans
- Day 9: SUNY Delhi Students Build Homes for the Homeless
- Day 10: SUNY Old Westbury Commemorates Veterans
- Day 11: UAlbany Students Work to Improve Lives of Those With Disabilities
- Day 12: Alfred State Students Preserve History in California
- Day 13: Herkimer County Community College Cares For the Community
- Day 14: SUNY Broome Students Stepping Up to End Campus Hunger
- Day 15: Monroe Community College Develops Humanitarian Mapping
- Day 16: SUNY Oswego Hockey Teams Support Local Charities
- Day 17: Stony Brook University Students Practice Prevention and Outreach
- Day 18: SUNY ESF Students Give Up Their Saturdays for Service
- Day 19: Clinton Community College Helps Students Overcome Barriers to Success
- Day 20: SUNY Plattsburgh Grants Holiday Wishes to Area Children and Families
- Day 21: SUNY Cobleskill Gives Back to the Iroquois Indian Museum
- Day 22: SUNY Sullivan Helps Local Federation for the Homeless
- Day 23: Operation Shoebox at Schenectady County Community College
- Day 24: University at Buffalo Grassroots Gardens
- Day 25: SUNY Oneonta Runs to Fight Hunger
- Day 26: SUNY Orange Helps the Needy Stay Warm in Winter
- Day 27: HVCC Students Pack Good Night Bags for Families in Crisis
- Day 28: SUNY Fredonia Adopts Families in Need
- Day 29: Onondaga Community College Students Give Back With Service Abroad
- Day 30: Jefferson Community College Faculty & Staff Take Pie in the Face for Charity