SUNY logo Apply to SUNY

Blog of The State University of New York
30 Days of Giving
0

30 Days of Giving 2019, Day 14: SUNY Schenectady Volunteers Knit Blankets for Children

Members of the Student Volunteer Organization at SUNY Schenectady sit at a table and show what they knitted.

This semester, members of the Student Volunteer Organization (SVO) at Schenectady County Community College found themselves industriously crocheting. 18 students, as well as faculty and staff, created colorful 8 inch by 8 inch squares that were sewn together into blankets and sent to children at the border between Texas and Mexico.

Michele Zebrowski and TeAna Taylor are SVO members and Human Services majors. “For the majority of my adult life, I have regularly needed help, be it with the holidays for the children, the food pantry, etc.,” Michele said. “I am at a point in my life where I can now give back, and it feels great.”

TeAna added, “I love being part of SVO because it gives me a chance to help my community and build relationships with fellow students.”

The SVO focuses on community projects that are initiated by students. Previous projects have included serving a dinner at the City Mission of Schenectady, leading an arts and crafts project at Girls Incorporated of the Capital Region, and organizing a party for foster parents and children who are a part of Fostering Futures New York. Last year members of the SVO crocheted headbands for Girls Inc.

“I am so inspired watching the students, many who have just learned how to crochet, come week after week to participate in this project,” said SVO Advisor, Renee Adamany, Professor in the Division of Liberal Arts.

Across SUNY, students, faculty and administration alike are coming together to in the spirit of charity and togetherness. 30 Days of Giving is our annual tradition, which starts on Thanksgiving every year, where we reflect on efforts of the past year and highlight some of the selfless acts of that members of the SUNY community are leading. Stay tuned for more.

Taras Kufel

Written by Taras Kufel

Taras Kufel is the Manager of Digital Engagement at the State University of New York.

Tags:

Similar:

Join the Conversation:

There are 0 comments