SUNY logo Apply to SUNY

Blog of The State University of New York
Athletics
98

SUNY Mascot Madness – Round 2

SUNY Mascot Madness - Round 2

Welcome to the First Annual GenerationSUNY Mascot Madness – Round 2! This is a competition where YOU can decide who is the BEST SUNY mascot. We are excited to announce that this year’s contest includes 30 SUNY campuses representing 472 athletic teams and over 220,000 students!Mascot Madness bracket - round 2

Over our 64 campuses, SUNY has 80 NCAA Division I, 290 NCAA Division III, and 385 NJCAA athletics teams, not to mention teams in other athletics associations and club teams! Our mascots work so hard cheering on every SUNY student athlete – why not cheer them on?

We’ve interviewed each competing mascot to learn a little more about them… Where they are from, what their favorite school event is, even what their favorite foods are. You’ll learn what it is that make these dedicated supporters of SUNY athletic teams, students and alumni tick.

Round 2:

Round 1 brought some exciting matchups! With over 68,000 votes cast, some of the games were real nail-biters. Pete, the Maritime Privateer, beat Benji, the Buffalo State Bengal by only 297 votes in a match-up that was the second most participated in. And over 10,000 votes were cast in the Postdam Bears-Morrisville Mustangs contest. Through all of this, one thing was clear – you love your mascots!

After Round 1, only 14 of the teams can move on. Was yours one of them? We had some “underdogs” move on and we saw some great social media marketing from some of the mascots. What does that all mean? View the round 2 bracket to see who your mascot is facing next.

Round 2 begins today and ends Sunday, March 17 at 11:00pm. The votes will then be counted and the winners will move on to round three – the Quarterfinal round – beginning Tuesday, March 19. Even if your school is out, there’s still a lot of mascots that have great profiles to compare against. Read on to find the mascots you feel deserve to move on. Vote for your favorite mascot in each match up and help us decide who winds up on top!

UPDATE – 3/14/2013

Last night, we noticed some suspicious voting patterns in the Geneseo vs. Maritime game. After investigating the IP addresses used in all the games, we were able to determine that a malicious application was used to garner additional votes for Geneseo via remote automated script. We were able to correct the problem and have reset Geneseo’s vote count to adjust for the inconsistency.

In the future, if any suspicious voting activity is discovered and can be identified, those votes will be removed, voting will be suspended for the remainder of the week’s matchup, and the campus with the highest number of votes after the adjustment will automatically be advanced to the next round. If the suspicious activity cannot be identified, both teams in the matchup will be disqualified.

We are so excited that the SUNY family is engaged and having this much fun with Mascot Madness in only its first year. Let’s work together to ensure we can maintain a fair and friendly competition!

Round 2 / Game 15: #1 Cortland vs. #17 New Paltz

• New Paltz Hawks (50%, 9,346 Votes)
  • Cortland Red Dragons (50%, 9,314 Votes)

Total Voters: 18,643

Loading ... Loading ...

Learn about the mascotsRound 2 Game 15: Cortland vs New Paltz

Round 2 / Game 16: #24 Maritime vs. #8 Geneseo

• Maritime Privateers (52%, 15,497 Votes)
  • Geneseo Knights (48%, 14,154 Votes)

Total Voters: 29,647

Loading ... Loading ...

Learn about the mascotsRound 2 Game 16: Maritime vs Geneseo

Round 2 / Game 17: #4 Oneonta vs. #20 Canton

• Canton Kangaroos (55%, 7,326 Votes)
  • Oneonta Red Dragons (45%, 6,116 Votes)

Total Voters: 13,440

Loading ... Loading ...

Learn about the mascotsRound 2 Game 17: Oneonta vs Canton

Round 2 / Game 18: #12 Farmingdale vs. #28 ESF

• Farmingdale Rams (51%, 12,353 Votes)
  • ESF Mighty Oaks (49%, 11,662 Votes)

Total Voters: 24,015

Loading ... Loading ...

Learn about the mascotsRound 2 Game 18: Farmingdale vs ESF

Round 2 / Game 19: #2 Brockport vs. #18 Morrisville

• Morrisville Mustangs (52%, 8,128 Votes)
  • Brockport Golden Eagles (48%, 7,596 Votes)

Total Voters: 15,722

Loading ... Loading ...

Learn about the mascotsRound 2 Game 19: Brockport vs Morrisville

Round 2 / Game 20: #23 SUNYIT vs. #7 Stony Brook

• Stony Brook Seawolves (64%, 5,992 Votes)
  • SUNYIT Wildcats (36%, 3,426 Votes)

Total Voters: 9,415

Loading ... Loading ...

Learn about the mascotsRound 2 Game 20: SUNYIT vs Stony Brook

Round 2 / Game 21: #3 Binghamton vs. #14 Plattsburgh

• Binghamton Bearcats (51%, 9,189 Votes)
  • Plattsburgh Cardinals (49%, 8,783 Votes)

Total Voters: 17,969

Loading ... Loading ...

Learn about the mascotsRound 2 Game 21: Binghamton vs Plattsburgh

Round 2 / Game 22: #11 Cobleskill vs. #6 Buffalo

• U Buffalo Bulls (54%, 5,853 Votes)
  • Cobleskill Fighting Tigers (46%, 5,059 Votes)

Total Voters: 10,912

Loading ... Loading ...

Learn about the mascotsRound 2 Game 22: Cobleskill vs Buffalo

Written by Emily Schwartz

Tags: , ,

Similar:

Join the Conversation:

There are 98 comments

• J. C. Kathmann says:

HOw the heck does one vote ?? I clicked on several apparnet talbs, but got nothing …

• JJ says:

what does the school get if they win????

• KLP says:

I thought we were supposed to be able to vote every day???? This page hasn’t let me vote in over 4 days…. GO CARDS!

• CeeGee says:

Geneseo.

• Jh says:

What are the rules for voting? I read you can vote once every 24 hours but I haven’t been able to do that.

• Jeff says:

Come on Burghy! Plattsburgh State Cardinals all the way! Also woop woop SUNY Canton!!!

• Ian says:

Keep Calm and Sail On Maritime!

• Mary says:

Go Plattsburgh!

• Mercedes says:

Lets Go Brockport, Lets Go!!!!

I graduated a few years ago and I just voted for the first time for many schools, including my alma mater.

Golden Eagles all the way!!!!

• dave says:

why does morrisville have more votes then brockport, and brockport has a higher ranking?

• izzy m says:

Go Cortland dragons!!!!! Best mascot name ever!

• S.S. says:

Why does Binghamton have higher votes, but a lower percentage??

• maria grimshaw says:

Hey what’s up with Geneseo? Go Oakie!!!!!

• Michelle says:

NEW PALTZ ALL THE WAY!!!!

• GO BURGHY Cardinal GO! Plattsburgh State RULES!

• FSC says:

Are we only allowed to vote once per week. I thought it was per day. I haven’t been able to vote for two days now.

• joey dinas says:

Potsdam wins all the way WOO

• ENF says:

New Paltz all the way! Hugo the Hawk rules!!!

• Gina says:

C-State Red Dragons all the way! Obviously no one is reading the “learn more about the mascots”. Blaze rocked it!!

• Timmy says:

Farmingdale is doing great! GO RAMMY!!!

• Corleen Thompson says:

ESF-GO Oakie!!!!! Surely you are stronger than those wimps working against
    you. Besides, we should be garnering support from our own alumni!

• Emily says:

GO NEW PALTZ HAWKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Logan Becker says:

come on guys stop being so mean to maritime. they already have a tough time. hell we weren’t even mentioned in the SUNY song hahaha

• pete says:

i actually go to maritime, but im honest and have to agree with ytram. something seems fishy about our votes.

• Ytram says:

I’m sorry, but Maritime if flat out cheating. How can a school of 1668 students each vote once. This isn’t fair. I thought this was going to be a fun way to see which school could garner enough support, but it’s turned into trickery. They need to be disqualified.

• Taras Kufel Generation SUNY says:

The Mascot Madness tournament can go beyond the campus in garnering support and communicating with Alumni, Community Supporters and campus Faculty and Staff as well as the student body.

• scott says:

I agree with him above, like 8,000 is a little unbelievable like what was there numbers for the last one?

• Lina says:

like it has already been stated…the votes go beyond the campus. not only do the students care, but their friends and family. many of the students have been posting the link on facebook in an attempt to reach out to their friends and families…who-as you’ve noticed by the vote count-have been responding. :)

• Bob says:

I’m from Oneonta but I still voted for all the other teams who I thought should win. I dont have anything to do with Maritime. Think of how many people out there doing the same thing as me…

• Daniel says:

The amount of pride we have at maritime is awesome – that plus our average starting salary after graduation – nbd

• AC Stone says:

So wait, you’re saying a smaller school, with 100% support from their students, should literally not be able to win against a larger school with 50% support? How is that fair?

• Jon Smith says:

Cortland!!! Red Dragons!

• Kay says:

Mustangs all the way!

• Amy says:

Blaze & Cortland Red Dragons! <3

• Gen Herrling says:

Go Cortland’s Blaze!! Who came first, Cortland’s Blaze or Oneonta’s? How come when you click on the “More about the Mascots” for Cortland, you get some lame excuse for not being able to find it??!!??

• Mike says:

I can’t believe we’re getting our butts kicked by Maritime. Where are the true SUNY G men and women? To quote Wordsworth: Up, Up My friends and quit your books, or surely you’ll grow double; up, up my friends and hit the net, or Maritime will make us ruble!”

• Carolyn says:

I am really upset with SUNY for this. How can you have a SUNY mascot madness if you are not having all the schools compete. I attend SUNY Albany and I do not see our mascot in this competition. What gives you the right to not let us compete?

• Della Rusin says:

I love the Green and Gold, Go Ellsworth!

• Frederick Kreutzer, Class of 1951 says:

I remember the first Cortland Red Dragon drawn by John Readon in the 1940s. His face had a pleasant, friendly appearance. I don’t care for the fierceness of the present Red Dragon. The fierceness should be reserved for the field where it can be displayed with vigor.

• Joel says:

CORTLAND!!!

• Ytram says:

Maritime has 1200 students but over 3000 votes? Something doesn’t really add up.

• Ytram says:

I’m sorry, but there is no way a school of 1200 people can get 3000 votes. I feel like Maritime is up to some funny business.

• Courtney says:

Go RED DRAGONS!!!! C state all the way :D

• Joel says:

CORTLAND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Sally says:

New Paltz Hawks!!! C-state and oneonta should be disqualified for having duplicate mascots

• Laura says:

MARITIME PRIVATEERS ARE GONNA SAIL AWAY WITH IT!

• marion schrank says:

Go Ellsworth, the best in the west!!!!!

• GJS says:

GENESEO! Harvard of the SUNYs.

• SPO says:

Oneonta should be disqualified for not being original enough to come up with their own mascot…C-State!

• chris says:

Brockport’s should say “Golden” Eages, since that’s really their mascot, the word “Eagles” has connotations with Philadelphia and that can’t be helping! Also golden eagles are pretty awesome birds.

• Carol Holmes says:

I have a special relationship to the Cortland Dragon having won the official dragon of the class of 1972 as Leader of the Red Team for Freshman Orientation Week. The entire class knew who I was and I dated the leader of the White Team for a while… I ended up living for 25 years in Europe, the Middle East and South America as well as San Francisco and Houston and I have no idea whatever happened to my Red Dragon…. anybody seen it??? :)

• Jim says:

Go Cortland! Blaze in a “Blaze of Glory”!

• SUNY Cortland’s Blaze all the way!!!

• Ron Mills class of '56 says:

An “OLD” Delta Kappa man agrees with Kappa Sigma…Go Red Dragons.
      Back when MRS Garner (of Garner’s Dorm for girls 1950′s) openedn an coffee shop downtown called it the “Red Dragon” I had an opportunity to work there with Windy Fuller and Cal Potwin.
      GO DRAGONS!!
      Millsie

• Dragonette93 says:

Go C State Red Dragons!

• Abby says:

Go Cortland Red Dragons!
    Go Binghamton Bearcats!

• Jo says:

I still think you should put Stony Brook’s mascot logo up on this, not the SB.