What You Need to Know About the New SUNY.edu
Today we launched a brand new website for the SUNY system.
We are beyond excited to share months of hard and collaborative work with all of you. This is not simply a new coat of paint; our website has been completely reimagined from the ground up, and we think it turns any previous idea of what a college website should look like on its head.
SUNY.edu is the foundation of our online presence, and so we wanted to make sure our online family (all of you!) knew a few things before diving in:
- As with any takeoff, one should always assume a bit of turbulence. Please do not be alarmed if you are directed to a page you didn’t intend, or if you receive the ever comforting “page not found.” You can expect some flakiness with links while we move. We’re working hard to get that right, and whenever possible, linking to a mirror of the old site for content that was not transitioned in this first phase.
- Really, we are launching two sites. SUNY.edu will serve as our major platform to tell the SUNY system’s story to all who choose to visit. A new site, system.suny.edu, will be the home of System Administration. It is here that you will find office websites, employee resources, and materials to help with business, administrative and current student needs.
- Smart Track℠ is finally live and ready to use. These financial aid planning tools will make it easier than ever to figure out how to pay for college.
- We’ve revamped our Alumni section – you can now explore all the benefits of being a part of the SUNY family, and of course have some fun and check out a few of our more famous “relatives.”
- SUNY Works is now also available to students and campuses. Learn more about co-ops internships, what they are, what to look for, and how to get them.
- This very blog’s redesign, even though it went live two weeks ago, was part of this redesign process. The look of the two sites are complementary, and the blog will drive much of the site’s content. If you read us – you get first dibs at our best content!
- Another part of this redesign? Open SUNY. We unveiled the site during the Chancellor’s State of the University Address – but if you go look, it’s clearly also part of this new network of awesomeness. And, we think, the best resource for online education in the nation.
- We’re not done! As Phase I of our web redesign comes to an end, Phase II will focus on fixing any existing bugs, building several new high profile feature sets for constituent groups, and transitioning the websites of many university-wide programs still using legacy designs and systems.
That’s all for now. If you have any feedback on the new SUNY.edu or want to report any errors, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also send some kudos to the team if you like the site… they definitely deserve it!