30 Days of Giving 2015: SUNY ESF Contributes to the Food Recovery Network
Students at SUNY ESF are feeding people and fighting food waste through their work with the local chapter of the Food Recovery Network (FRN), an organization that delivers leftover dining hall food to those in need.
Student volunteers collect untouched or pre-packaged food from dining halls at neighboring Syracuse University and ESF’s own Trailhead Café and distribute it to area non-profits.
When the dining halls and café close at the end of the day, there is plenty of food left on the buffet line. ESF students take the food and deliver it to shelters in the City of Syracuse. The food meets all health codes and has not been touched by consumers.
The food is delivered to the Dorothy Day Shelter for Women, a neighborhood shelter for at-risk women and children, and the DePalmer House which provides transitional housing for the homeless. The food not only helps the shelters’ budgets as they don’t have to spend money on buying and preparing food, but also keeps thousands of pounds of food out of the landfill.
Volunteers go out five days a week on “recoveries” to collect and transport the food, said club President Shewa Shwani, a sophomore biotechnology major. On Tuesdays and Thursdays there are two recoveries because along with the regular FRN volunteers a number of other campus clubs assist in the food deliveries as their community service project.
The chapter at ESF is one of nine at universities across New York state. More than 3,500 pounds of food has been recovered since the network started and it now has several dozen volunteers.
2015 30 Days of Giving
- Day 1: Binghamton University hosts Welcome Week Service Project
- Day 2: Brockport hosts a Saturday of Service
- Day 3: Niagara CCC Penny Wars for St Jude’s Children Research Hospital
- Day 4: Farmingdale Little Flower Event
- Day 5: Onondaga CC works to help K.I.D.S.
- Day 6: Tompkins Cortland Participates in Cancer Resource Charity Walk
- Day 7: SUNY ESF Contributes to the Food Recovery Network
- Day 8: Literacy Matters at FMCC
- Day 9: HVCC Builds Walls for Habitat for Humanity
- Day 10: Oswego’s Positive Community Impact Through SEFA
- Day 11: Dutchess CC Organizes Clothing and Food Drives
- Day 12: Morrisville Holds Back To School Drive
- Day 13: Charity on Ice at SUNY Cortland
- Day 14: Delhi’s Out of the Darkness Event for Suicide Prevention
- Day 15: Dare to Care Day at Buffalo State
- Day 16: FIT Students Engineer Garments for Veterans with Disabilities
- Day 17: SUNY Ulster Sends Text Books to Kenya
- Day 18: Niagara CCC Tackles Breast Cancer Awareness
- Day 19: Herkimer CCC Supports Gram Lorraine Children’s Christmas Program
- Day 20: Jefferson CC Gives Gift of Comfort
- Day 21: SUNY Canton Giving Tree
- Day 22: Alfred State participates in ELK Charity Challenge
- Day 23: Old Westbury goes Shopping for Service
- Day 24: SUNY Oneonta Giving Tree
- Day 25: Purchase College provides free ESOL classes
- Day 26: Tree Trot at Fredonia supports Big Brothers Big Sisters
- Day 27: Geneseo Continues to Provide Hurricane Relief
- Day 28: Rockland CC luncheon raises funds for Alzheimer’s Foundation
- Day 29: Stony Brook Bike-A-Thon For Disabilities
- Day 30: Suffolk County CC volunteers at Special Olympics event