It’s Time for 30 Days of Giving 2015!
It’s time that time of year again, time for the 4th annual 30 Days of Giving! For the next month, we here at SUNY will be showcasing acts of giving and community service found at individual campuses across New York State. From food drives, youth mentoring, public land cleanup, and so much more, this series is our way to showcase the compassion that our faculty and students have for both their local communities and those in need across the nation.
As part of SUNY’s Applied Learning initiatives, each year thousands of students participate in ground-breaking research and volunteer, either individually or in part of their campus clubs, to improve communities locally, nationally, and globally. The benefits gained from faculty/student-community relationships are immediately recognizable with potential for long-term impact. These efforts truly show that SUNY campuses are not just located in communities across New York, but are a part of them all.
So starting tomorrow, check back every day for stories of campus or class projects where students are volunteering, working in the local community, and giving. And the best part is that these acts just scratch the surface of all the work and engagement that SUNY students put into their communities year-round!
To best understand the 30 Days of Giving, let’s look back at some of the highlights from 2014:
- SUNY Oswego and their Adopt-A-Grandparent program
- Niagara County Community College held a Football Fundraiser to “Tackle Breast Cancer“
- Fulton-Montgomery Community College held a fundraiser to sponsor a Thanksgiving dinner
- Stony Brook University put on a baseball doubleheader with the Miracle League of Long Island
- SUNY Plattsburgh wrote letters for the Wounded Warrior Project
- FIT opened its second annual Pop-Up Shop to raise money to fight cancer
We can’t wait to show you all the new ways SUNY campuses have continued to help this year!
2015 30 Days of Giving
- Day 1: Binghamton University hosts Welcome Week Service Project
- Day 2: Brockport hosts a Saturday of Service
- Day 3: Niagara CCC Penny Wars for St Jude’s Children Research Hospital
- Day 4: Farmingdale Little Flower Event
- Day 5: Onondaga CC works to help K.I.D.S.
- Day 6: Tompkins Cortland Participates in Cancer Resource Charity Walk
- Day 7: SUNY ESF Contributes to the Food Recovery Network
- Day 8: Literacy Matters at FMCC
- Day 9: HVCC Builds Walls for Habitat for Humanity
- Day 10: Oswego’s Positive Community Impact Through SEFA
- Day 11: Dutchess CC Organizes Clothing and Food Drives
- Day 12: Morrisville Holds Back To School Drive
- Day 13: Charity on Ice at SUNY Cortland
- Day 14: Delhi’s Out of the Darkness Event for Suicide Prevention
- Day 15: Dare to Care Day at Buffalo State
- Day 16: FIT Students Engineer Garments for Veterans with Disabilities
- Day 17: SUNY Ulster Sends Text Books to Kenya
- Day 18: Niagara CCC Tackles Breast Cancer Awareness
- Day 19: Herkimer CCC Supports Gram Lorraine Children’s Christmas Program
- Day 20: Jefferson CC Gives Gift of Comfort
- Day 21: SUNY Canton Giving Tree
- Day 22: Alfred State participates in ELK Charity Challenge
- Day 23: Old Westbury goes Shopping for Service
- Day 24: SUNY Oneonta Giving Tree
- Day 25: Purchase College provides free ESOL classes
- Day 26: Tree Trot at Fredonia supports Big Brothers Big Sisters
- Day 27: Geneseo Continues to Provide Hurricane Relief
- Day 28: Rockland CC luncheon raises funds for Alzheimer’s Foundation
- Day 29: Stony Brook Bike-A-Thon For Disabilities
- Day 30: Suffolk County CC volunteers at Special Olympics event