The annual Dare to Care Day at Buffalo State gathered a large group of students, faculty, and staff members to engage in community service on September 16. Each year the group grows, and this year the registration closed at 1,050 people.
President Katherine Conway-Turner looks back on the success of this event.
Members of the campus community provided service at 35 community sites and organizations. We were fortunate to have beautiful blue skies for our day of service. Our group creating a sea of orange convened in the Social Hall at the beginning of the day. We then boarded buses to go to our sites. From urban garden cleanup to spreading mulch at parks to restoration projects, we lent our energy to improve the city of Buffalo.
I had the opportunity to visit four sites, and in each place, I joined hardworking Bengals bringing life to our urban-engaged campus focus.
I must admit that I was looking forward to serving alongside members of our Buffalo State community. At the end of the day, I felt renewed and confident that together we made a difference while feeling the pleasure of work done collectively.
Thank you to all who shared their Saturday with our city, and I look forward to other opportunities for working together with our campus and cultivating a community that is better when we all work as one.
30 Days of Giving 2017:
- Day 1: Shopping with a Smile
- Day 2: Erie Community College Cook-Off for Kidneys
- Day 3: Stony Brook Medicine Helps in Puerto Rico
- Day 4: A Day of Service at Onondaga CC
- Day 5: New Paltz Students Make a Difference
- Day 6: Buffalo State College Dares to Care
- Day 7: Niagara County CC Students Lend A Hand for Thanksgiving
- Day 8: Old Westbury Helps Haiti
- Day 9: A Day of Service at SUNY Potsdam
- Day 10: Helping Animals at Hudson Valley Community College
- Day 11: FIT Students Help the Homeless
- Day 12: Morrisville Athletes Go Local For Service
- Day 13: SUNY Poly Gives Back Throughout the Region
- Day 14: SUNY Oswego Honors Those Battling Ovarian Cancer
- Day 15: Brockport Students Volunteer at Thanksgiving
- Day 16: SUNY ESF Sends Acorns to Action
- Day 17: Doors Open at the Columbia-Greene Community College Giving Closet
- Day 18: Monroe Community College Helps Walk for Water
- Day 19: SUNY Cortland Supports Crop Hunger Walk
- Day 20: Making Music at Farmingdale State to Help the Hungry
- Day 21: Increasing Food Security at Dutchess Community College
- Day 22: Addressing Food Insecurity On and Around SUNY Geneseo
- Day 23: Westchester Community College Plays the UnHunger Games
- Day 24: Binghamton University Builds University Assisted Community Schools
- Day 25: Mohawk Valley Community College Gives Back To Their Community
- Day 26: SUNY Oneonta Students Help Area Children Learn
- Day 27: Rockland Community College Comes Together to Aid Puerto Rico
- Day 28: Empire State College Donates to Caribbean Relief
- Day 29: Schenectady County Community College Students Provide Support to Foster Families
- Day 30: Raising Guiding Eyes at SUNY Delhi