UB Pharmacy Returns to City of Buffalo with Opening of Kapoor Hall
In a ribbon-cutting ceremony on Sept. 28, the UB School of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences officially opened its new home, John and Editha Kapoor Hall, named for alumnus John N. Kapoor and his late wife, Editha.
Beginning in 1986, through the John and Editha Kapoor Charitable Foundation, the couple has given back to the pharmacy school to support research, graduate fellowships and renovation of the South Campus facility.
The result is a stronger faculty, more of the brightest students, and now a high-tech facility where students are following a new course of study designed to make optimal use of all the building’s state-of-the-art learning and research spaces. And if that isn’t enough, UB Pharmacy currently ranks 17th in the United States and is the only pharmacy school in the SUNY system.
Following UB’s push toward sustainability, the 147,000-square-foot structure is targeting silver certification from Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED), a green building national rating system.
The new facility also represents a homecoming for the pharmacy school, which was founded in 1886 on the South Campus, but spent the past 35 years in Cooke and Hochstetter halls on the North Campus. The university’s second-oldest entity, next to medicine, UB Pharmacy is the first professional school in three decades to return to the city of Buffalo.
Kapoor Hall is one element of a much larger and ongoing effort to reinvest in UB’s South Campus. The UB 2020 strategic plan, with support from the NYSUNY 2020 legislation signed into law last year by Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo, calls for enhancements that will revitalize the quality of life on the campus and in the surrounding University Heights neighborhood.
Read more about Kapoor Hall in the UB Reporter.