8 Degree Programs Offered Through Open SUNY+
In her State of the University Address on January 14, SUNY Chancellor Nancy Zimpher unveiled the rollout of Open SUNY, a SUNY-wide collaboration that opens the door to world-class online-enabled learning opportunities. It is not a new degree program or a new school; it’s a seamless way for you to access the courses, degrees, professors, and rich academics of all 64 SUNY campus’ flexibility—wherever and whenever the student wants. SUNY is delivering its renowned high-quality education with an unprecedented breadth of tools, services, and supports designed to help the student be successful.
In addition to housing nearly 400 online-enabled degrees and 12,000 course sections, Open SUNY is proud to feature eight degrees that are powered by Open SUNY+. Open SUNY+ brings an additional layer of supports for students and faculty, creating unique online learning experiences unlike any that exist today, like including experiential education in the program and providing support services like advisement and tutoring.
Chancellor Zimpher’s announcement of Open SUNY lead the introduction of eight Open SUNY+ programs hosted by six SUNY campuses:
- AAS in Clinical Laboratory Technician, through SUNY Broome Community College, propels graduates to be automatically eligible to sit for New York State Licensure and national certification examinations. In lieu of campus-based student laboratories, Online CLT students complete a set of preclinical competencies at an affiliated hospital within their geographical area. At the end of their studies, students will also complete clinical training (400 hours) in hospital laboratories affiliated with the program to provide hands-on experience as well as excellent training for immediate employment.
- BS in Nursing, through SUNY Delhi, provides educational mobility for registered nurses who are seeking a Bachelor of Science in Nursing. The program emphasizes critical thinking and practice skills necessary for clinical management of patients within a constantly changing health care environment.
- BS in Business, Management, and Economics: Human Resources Management, through Empire State College, prepares the student to be an essential partner in developing and executing the strategy of the organization. Individuals working in the HR field are key players in ensuring the organization has the right people in the right places doing the right things at the right times. In effect, it is the HR professional’s responsibility to ensure HR policies, procedures and practices are matched effectively with the organization’s strategies.
- BS in Science, Mathematics, and Technology: Information Systems, through Empire State College, teaches the essentials of integrating information technology solutions and business processes to meet the information needs of businesses and other enterprises, enabling them to achieve their objectives in an effective, efficient way. The science, mathematics and technology perspective on information technology emphasizes information, with technology as an instrument for generating, processing and distributing information.
- AAS in Tourism Management, through Finger Lakes Community College, is designed with an emphasis on the development of entry level skills for managerial positions in destination marketing organizations, convention services, convention centers, meeting/planning, event management, commercial and public attractions, chambers of commerce, and wineries. Students will develop the skills and aptitudes necessary to succeed in the tourism industry through the application of authentic case studies and group projects.
- Masters of Business Administration, through SUNY Oswego, is designed for those seeking to expand their career opportunities, enhance their business skills or to provide the foundation for individuals aspiring to move into management positions. The comprehensive advanced curriculum combines established theoretical concepts with practical applications.
- MBA in Health Services Administration, through SUNY Oswego, takes advantage of the health services field, which is a high-growth, dynamic industry. The College’s MBA will give the student the edge for health management careers that are in demand. The award-winning School of Business faculty designs graduate courses from a learner-centered perspective that utilizes their professional experiences.
- BS in Electrical Engineering, through Stony Brook University, is a fully-accredited electrical engineering degree that is administered by Stony Brook University and courses are taught online by faculty members at Stony Brook University, University at Buffalo and Binghamton University.