The effort to close the nursing shortage in our health care workforce is underway – applications for the Nurses for our Future Scholarship are now open. This tuition covering scholarship is set to help 1,000 new students interested in becoming their own health care heroes. Now, all those interested can submit an entry to the New York nursing scholarship drawing by February 5, 2022.
Before you apply for the new Nurses for our Future Scholarship, there are a few things you need to know.
How much does the Nurses for our Future Scholarship cover?
The Nurses for our Future Scholarship will cover tuition for either an associate or bachelor’s degree. The award is for the actual tuition charged by a SUNY or CUNY school. The scholarship does not cover non-tuition fees such as room and board, cost of attendance, books, technology fees, and other related fees.
Who is eligible?
The Nurses for our Future Scholarship is open to new or current healthcare workers who pursue either an Associate Degree (ADN) in Nursing at a SUNY community or technology college, or a Bachelor’s of Science (BSN) in Nursing at a SUNY college.
Both full-time and part-time students can apply. The award is pro-rated for part-time nursing students.
Applicants with family members who work for SUNY, CUNY, New York Higher Education Services Corporation (HESC), or the Executive Chamber are not eligible for the scholarship.
Do you have to be a New York State resident to apply?
The nursing scholarship is open to New York State residents who apply to a SUNY or CUNY school to earn an ADN or BSN, as well as out-of-state nurses who will relocate to New York to earn their BSN and practice in the state.
Is the scholarship guaranteed?
No, the scholarship is not guaranteed for all those who apply. New York State will hold a drawing for a chance to win a scholarship. There are 1,000 scholarships available. One entry per participant will be accepted. The scholarship is broken up into three different awards:
- up to 500 scholarships for out-of-state nurses who will relocate to earn a BSN and practice in the state
- up to 250 scholarships for residents who are pursuing an Associate Degree in Nursing (ADN) for the first time
- up to 250 scholarships for New York RNs who will pursue a BSN at SUNY or CUNY school
Where can I submit an entry for the nursing scholarship?
To submit an entry for drawing, visit the Nursing Education Tuition Scholarship site. Only one entry will be considered per applicant.
What information do I need to enter?
in addition to your name and contact information, applicants must read and agree to the term of eligibility:
- you are a New York resident and agree to pursue an associate degree in nursing full-time at SUNY or CUNY college or university by fall 2022;
- agree to work as a registered nurse in a high need facility in New York State for two years upon graduation; and
- you will submit all required documentation to the New York State Higher Education Services Corporation to determine eligibility for payment of the scholarship
Where can I study nursing at SUNY?
SUNY offers more than 70 programs in nursing at many of our 64 campuses. So if you are interested in becoming a health care hero, start today and search for a nursing program that allows you to start in the fall 2022 semester.