SUNY logo Apply to SUNY

Blog of The State University of New York
Campus Life
37

SUNY Mascot Madness 2014 – Round 1

Welcome to the Second Annual SUNY Mascot Madness! This is a competition where YOU can decide who is New York’s favorite campus mascot! We are excited to announce that this year’s contest includes a record 44 SUNY campuses representing more than 637 athletic teams and 350,000 students!

2014 SUNY Mascot Madness Round 1

Round 1/2 of the 2014 SUNY Mascot Madness competition

SUNY has more than 85 NCAA Division I, 290 NCAA Division III, and 385 NJCAA athletics teams, as well as hundreds of non-competitive athletics clubs. Our mascots work so hard cheering on every SUNY student athlete, so why not cheer them on?

Last year, 100,000 voters cast their ballot to edge a win for SUNY New Paltz’s “Hugo” over Stony Brook University’s “Wolfie Seawolf” in the championship round.

We’ve interviewed each competing mascot to learn a little more about them, like what their favorite New York State destination is and how they became a mascot in the first place. You’ll learn what it is that make these dedicated supporters of SUNY athletic teams, students and alumni tick.

Round 1:

Round 1 begins today and ends Tuesday, March 18 at 4:00 p.m. This round includes Round I and II as indicated on the bracket, which means that every single mascot competes in this round. Those who have a “bye” will effectively be competing against the two mascots who otherwise are battling it out before reaching them.

And remember to click over to read all of the interviews with our mascot participants. Each one of them tells us a bit about their personality, how they came to be a mascot at their campus, and some of their more interesting habits. Then, vote for your favorite personality in each match-up.

Voting is closed.

Votes will be reviewed to ensure there were no errors or entries made past the closing time of 4:00EST. Round 3 begins tomorrow at 12:00

[poll id=”39″]
[poll id=”43″]
[poll id=”47″]
[poll id=”53″]

How voting works
To ensure fair competition as best we can and prevent multiple votes, the voting widgets are set to restrict users to one vote per 8 hours from your location.

Big Ideas

Written by Big Ideas

Big Ideas is the Blog of The State University of New York, published by the Office of New Media.

Tags: ,

Similar:

Join the Conversation:

There are 37 comments

• Oneonta Dragon Pride says:

SUNY Ulster –Hmmm, in the last hour you were getting around 25 votes every minute ……….. but then again, you are a politician so I’m you worked some magic.

• Proud Fredonia Blue Devil says:

I dunno…. that last vote was only 400 votes away. Bush was only 1,784 votes ahead which was decreased to 327 after the re-count in Florida when he ran against Gore…… I think that there needs to be a special run off in order to fully ensure that justice is served here. We wouldn’t want to wrong the Ulster Senators, you know?

• ricky yerdon says:

were do we wee which school has byes does suny canton have one

• Fran Raleigh says:

How come the only “game” with a vote button was Game 1 at the top? My team’s further down and I can’t vote!

• Voter says:

There is something going on with the voting. I voted yesterday at 8am and it’s not letting me vote again.

• SUNY alumnus says:

There has repeatedly been problems with the voting. I’m not sure all the mascots are getting a fair deal. I have had many instances this week of not being allowed to vote, although it had been more than 8 hours, and I am the only one using this IP address. What’s going on, SUNY?

• James says:

It is 845am on Tuesday and the only Game open for voting is #1. I just see the totals on all other games and I haven’t voted from this computer in over 24 hours. I thought voting for all games was until at least noon today – what’s up?

• Boris says:

Has voting closed already?

• Mercedes says:

Lets go Brockport!!!!
    Game # 13!!

• Lucia says:

Everyone should check out SUNY Ulster’s Mascot Madness video!!

• MR. Viking says:

HVCC

• Don Whalen says:

In 1952 I voted for Hugo the Hawk to be SUNY New Paltz mascot. There was a real hawk owned by my biology professor.

• Paul says:

What happened to being able to vote once every 8 hours?

• kelly says:

Why can I not vote for Oneonta its not an option…

• Rachel says:

Vote for Ellsworth in SUNY’s Mascot Madness 2014!: http://youtu.be/23nhgmfd5Xk

• Becky says:

Genesee CC mascot G-dub is a cougar not a panther.

• C says:

Seriously you don’t have Westchester Community College on here? Why not?

• Ethan says:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06Y_NlKOzDs

• Ellen KR says:

I am surprised that Tompkins-Cortland CC is not listed. They are a part of the SUNY system and they do have a mascot. What up?

• You should show Albany’s actual mascot, not just the “A” logo.

• SUNY Canton’s mascot should be listed as Roody, not Roo. Thanks!

• natalie3000 says:

Hey – there is no vote link for the first 10 games or am I missing something? Thanks!

• gretchen says:

When you say “location” do you mean IP address, hence only one person can vote from a campus????

• Gabriel Smith says:

The link for the Herkimer Generals is wrong it takes you to the SUNY Purchase page